Thursday 9 July 2015

Dwarf Squad

Tough nutters - The dwarves fill the role of shock infantry, often charging towards the largest and most dangerous group of enemies they can find.
Phew! That's one more unit finished. More Alternative Armies dwarves, with a single old Citadel dwarf thrown into the mix. ostly because I thought it was such a cool sculpt. 

Dolbur is a bit old-fashioned. The Horned helmets are so last year; now its all about terrifying gilded deathmasks. But the others don't mind Dolburs wacky looks that much, since he makes up for it with his expert practice of traditional dwarven axedwarfship.

I've tried for a less uniform finish on these guys, as I imagine the dwarves being more individualistic than the humans, with each of them displaying their ancestral colours in their battle-garb. Thus I've kept a couple of primary colours consistent throughout the group (red and a shady blue) but tried to vary the secondary colours, and where I apply them on the miniatures, giving the unit a more rag-tag apearance, while still being clearly identifiable as part of the overall army.

The latest 3 additions. I really like the masks that some of the alternative armies dwarves wear. That is such a cool concept.
The unit will be used in Lion Rampant as another group of Foot-knights, taking my retinue up to a total of 12 points now. Thats half an army painted! Woo!
Granted, these two units are the easiest parts, as they are only 6 strong each. Next up, I'll propably have to paint some sort of missile unit, and maybe some foot levy or sergeants as well. Currently I am planning on using the Frostgrave plastics for that, when they come around, and then possibly later painting some extra units of the Fantasy Warriors line.

I also want some cavalry, at some point, but I think I should focus on making the army playable first, as I am notoriously bad at getting cavalry-models finished.

A unit of the city guard charges into combat.
We'll see what comes up. For now I am pretty happy with having these two units finished.

Thanks for reading!
~Affun

No comments:

Post a Comment